I was just posting the other day my ideas around the notion of Social Everything or Social Everywhere. Today, YouTube announces new APIs and YouTube Everywhere . YouTube has turned the corner with their user generated content site – it’s now a platform. More info on YouTube APIs and tools.
If you’re in the video platform, advertising, or widget platform business you’re either scared to death or happy. YouTube just became a great partner or the devil of a competitor.
YouTube’s Jim Patterson – blogger and product management dude – writes, ” Technically, we have introduced some new APIs. (This is just a geeky acronym for Awesomely Powerful Interactions, which is what users are now capable of performing from just about anywhere.) Building upon our existing APIs for querying the YouTube library and playing embedded YouTube videos, we have added the following new API services for external developers and partners:
- Upload videos and video responses to YouTube
- Add/Edit user and video metadata (titles, descriptions, ratings, comments, favorites, contacts, etc)
- Fetch localized standard feeds (most viewed, top rated, etc.) for 18 international locales
- Perform custom queries optimized for 18 international locales
- Customize player UI and control video playback (pause, play, stop, etc.) through software
The number of possible new applications is endless…”This will certainly change the social media landscape.